Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Becton Park, Part 1


Big surprise here! This was my style for 20 years - hard edges and high contrast. Becton Park Part 1 was quite successful, taking "Best in Show" at a national competition. It was also featured in shows at the Fayetteville Museum of Art and Weatherspoon Gallery at UNC-Greensboro. The actual colors are warmer (this image is from a CD of my slides, which are much truer). I have decided to sell this painting and others that remain from my work with gouache (pronounced "gwash" - it's opaque watercolor). I doubt there will be any more produced in that medium, which was perfect for the body of work to be offered, but no longer suitable for my current direction. They'll be posted soon on my website (www.BethStafford.com) .


About the Becton Park Series: there is a subdivision by that name in Charlotte, NC. It has a scalloped wall surrounding the development and each back yard. With the cookie-cutter houses and that wall running everywhere, it felt like something from the Twilight Zone. Nevertheless, it was full of interesting compositions and I enjoyed making the four paintings that resulted.