Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Out of the Night That Covers Me

Out of the Night is one of my more "illustrious" paintings. 'Way back in high school we had to memorize (and recite) "Invictus", the first line of which was, "Out of the night that covers me, black as the pit from pole to pole..." I spent a lot of time in the '80's at Southport, NC, poking around what was left of Fort Caswell, which by then was a summer camp. Late at night I shot a photo from the dimly lit inside of one of the old barracks, looking out to the porch column which was illuminated by a bare bulb. It was a spooky, metaphysical moment, bringing to mind that line from the poem. I later turned it into this painting, which is another widely exhibited gouache. The colors are not quite as dark as they appear here, but the mystery and other-worldly feeling are there.