Sunday, March 12, 2006

"Hosta 2"


Hosta 2 (oil pastel, 11.5" x 7", 2005) is what resulted when I tried to compose from the helter-skelter cascade of hosta leaves in one of my flower beds. The plants always start small and everything fits with everything else, but give a hosta an inch and it'll take over the whole bed. When I was photographing the plant, I noticed a tiny head peeping out from behind the leaves, and then the whole critter (a skink) inched out and posed for me.
This hosta is huge. On warm weather nights, my dog delights in mouthing toads (bad for her and not so good for them), so I do "frog patrol" in the fenced yard before she comes out. The ones I rescue are tossed over the fence onto the cushiony hosta. Sometimes there will be several tiers of the warty things, probably wondering how they got there!