Sunday, March 19, 2006

Iris Leaves


Iris Leaves (10" x 7", oil pastel, 2004) is one of my first works using oil pastels over an inkjet print. I had a lot of fun with the colors; it was something of a challenge to make a tangle of iris leaves into a colorful composition.

The iris bed itself is quite a challenge. What made me stick a flower bed in a long stretch of yard? Must have been temporary insanity. Not only do I have to mow around it, but the irises went wild and multiplied all over the place, and then the wildlife moved in (bunnies everywhere), and weeds sneaked up on me, and now a six-foot pine tree and two comparable elms are in there, shading out the irises. They must have grown while I was out to lunch. Fortunately I photographed the leaves before entrophy set in.

Iris Leaves is in the collection of First Charter Financial Center in Concord, NC.